The Best Alpaca Farms Near Melbourne
Share This Article
When the hustle and bustle of Melbourne city life gets overwhelming, a visit to one of the picturesque alpaca farms nearby can be the perfect escape. These gentle creatures offer a unique and memorable experience that’s sure to delight tourists, especially those aged 25-45.
Here, we’ll introduce you to some of the top alpaca farms near Melbourne, each with its own charm and character.
Nestled in the serene Dandenong Ranges, just a 45-minute drive from Melbourne, Auravale Alpacas is a youthful and dynamic alpaca and miniature donkey stud owned and managed by the passionate Lynda and Nic Holdsworth. They’re dedicated to breeding alpacas with a gentle temperament and silky, lustrous fleece.
Auravale Alpacas is also known for its successful alpaca breeding program, with numerous awards to its name. In fact, in 2023, they won the Lyla Fisher Memorial Trophy for Victorian Eastern Region Alpaca of the Year for the fourth consecutive year. Don’t miss the chance to connect with these magnificent creatures at Auravale Alpacas.
Auravale Alpacas goes beyond alpaca care by adopting sustainable farming practices. They use renewable energy sources and organic fertilizers, supporting the local community by collaborating with other businesses.
A leisurely hour-and-a-half drive from Melbourne leads you to Omaru Alpaca Farm, a popular tourist destination. Home to over 100 alpacas, miniature donkeys, goats, and sheep, this farm has something for everyone on its open days.
- Farm tours: Dive into the world of alpacas and their care.
- Alpaca feedings: Hand-feed these charming animals and learn about their diet.
- Alpaca walks: Stroll through the farm with a friendly alpaca companion.
- Stunning views: Bring a picnic and the whole family and enjoy a great day out.
- Alpaca products: Shop for alpaca yarn, fleece, and souvenirs at the farm store.
For those ready to embark on a two-hour adventure from Melbourne, Pero Alpacas awaits. A family-owned and operated alpaca farm, they offer a range of engaging alpaca experiences:
- Farm tours: Explore the world of alpacas and their care.
- Alpaca feedings: Hand-feed alpacas and learn about their dietary needs.
- Alpaca walks: Take a relaxing stroll with a friendly alpaca companion.
- Alpaca fleece demonstrations: Get insights into alpaca fleece harvesting and processing.
- Alpaca products: Purchase alpaca yarn, fleece, and souvenirs at their shop.
A scenic one-hour drive from Melbourne brings you to Pitchingga Ridge Alpacas, a family-owned farm with over 100 alpacas, miniature donkeys, goats, and sheep. Bookings are essential.
- Alpaca feedings: Hand-feed these friendly creatures while learning about their diet.
- Alpaca walks: Take a leisurely stroll with an amicable alpaca companion.
- Alpaca fleece demonstrations: Gain insights into the process of harvesting and processing alpaca fleece.
- Alpaca products: Shop for alpaca yarn, fleece, and souvenirs at their store.
Pitchingga Ridge Alpacas is also known for its commitment to sustainability, employing renewable energy sources and organic fertilizers. They actively support the local community by collaborating with other businesses.
Just an hour’s drive from Melbourne, Alpacas on the Hill is a charming, family-owned and operated alpaca farm nestled in the picturesque Red Hill area. The farm is home to over 50 alpacas, along with a delightful variety of other animals, including miniature donkeys, goats, and sheep.