Share This Article
I feel as though most Australians, (well, Victorians at least) are always on a massive search for the best vanilla slice they can find. Regional bakeries have had the monopoly on the best vanilla slices, constantly winning awards and outpointing their urban counterparts. But still, there are a lot of good vanilla slices out there, and this brings us no closer to finding the best vanilla slice money can buy.
It’s hard to define. Is it the custard, is it the pastry, or is it how well it’s dusted in sugar that defines how good a vanilla slice is? Let’s just say it’s probably all of those things combined.
In search of the best things to eat, and the best places to visit around Australia, Wotif has once again held its Uniquely Aussie Awards. And this is where we get a little bit of help in finding where the best vanilla slice is in Australia. The Wotif community has helped them put together where to find Australia’s best jaffle, best vanilla slice, best country pub, best hot chips, best hotel pool, and best national park across Australia’s states and territories.
The winner of Australia’s best vanilla slice? Bridgewater Bakehouse.
Bridgewater Bakehouse can be found in Bridgewater on Loddon, and Bendigo in Victoria. The Bakehouse’s famous vanilla slice is said to offer “the perfect ratio of silky-smooth custard and crisp (never soggy) pastry, topped with a “can’t help yourself” layer of icing”.
Other finalists include Ross Bakery Inn in Ross, Tasmania, Banana Boogie Bakery in Belair, South Australia, and more. Read the full list below.
Best Vanilla Slice In Australia
- Bridgewater Bakehouse | Bridgewater on Loddon, Victoria
- Ross Bakery Inn | Ross, Tasmania
- Banana Boogie Bakery | Belair, South Australia
- Vanilla Slice Cafe | Sorrento, Victoria
- The French Lettuce | Carlton, Victoria
- Flinders Vanilla Slice | Cheltenham, Victoria
- Gumnut Pattiserie | Mittagong, Bowral, and Berrima, New South Wales
- Preece’s At The Jetty | Redcliff, Queensland
- Cafe Bear & Scoobs | Geelong, Victoria
- Bourkie’s Bakehouse | Woodend, Victoria
- Kurt’s Cakes | Darwin, Northern Territory
- The Shearing Shed | Northampton, Western Australia
- Dobinsons Bakery | Belconnen, Australian Capital Territory
About the Vanilla Slice:
A vanilla slice is a type of pastry. It consists of a thick custard, which is traditionally flavoured with vanilla or chocolate, and which is sandwiched between flaky puff pastry or filo pastry and iced with either vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, raspberry or passion fruit icing.
An annual competition for the best vanilla slice baker is the Great Australian Vanilla Slice Triumph. Judging criteria include “when tasted, should reveal a custard with a creamy smooth texture and a balance of vanilla taste with a crisp, crunchy pastry topped with a smooth and shiny glaze/fondant”. Although it was originally held in Ouyen, Victoria, in 2011 the town decided to award the rights to host the Great Vanilla Slice Triumph to another town in the Sunraysia district – Merbein, in northwest Victoria